Marliss® Tostones Mojo
A flavorful side dish, Marliss® Tostones Mojo goes well with your favorite Marliss® entrée.
- 2 Green Plantains
- 1 tablespoon Marliss® Mojo Seasoning
- ¼ to ½ cup oil for frying
- Heat oil in a cast iron pan or a shallow pan for frying. You want to coat the bottom of the pan to at least a ⅛” depth. You want the oil to be just hot – not scorching or burning; medium to medium-low heat.
- Peel Plantains and cut into 1” – 1½” slices.
- Fry the plantains, cut side down, until just slightly browned – we are not fully cooking the tostones at this point. Flip and lightly brown the other side. Remove from oil.
- Using the bottom of a mug or a canning jar, gently press down on the top of the plantain to slightly mash. Do not flatten the plantain – we are making Tostones, not plantain chips.
- Remove the crushed plantain from the bottom of the jar or mug and continue with the remaining plantains. Once all the plantains have been prepared, set them back into the oil for their second frying. We are looking for a light to mild browning here, or as dark as you would like your tostones. Do not overcook – you want to keep that great plantain taste!
- Once you have reached your desired degree of frying, remove from the oil and place into a large bowl. Sprinkle your Marliss® Mojo Seasoning all over your fried plantains and toss.
Garnish, if desired, with grilled slices of your favorite citrus fruit.