Delicious Marliss® Chicharrones are a finger food favorite! Enjoy these with Marliss® Mojo Mayo at the next big game!
- 1 lb Pork Belly with skin
- Baking soda
- Water (to cover)
- Marliss® Mojo Seasoning
- Rub the baking soda and salt all over the surface of the skin evenly. (Use baking soda and salt 2 to 1.) Set the pork belly on a rack inside of a baking sheet and place it uncovered in the refrigerator. Leave in refrigerator for at least an hour, but preferably overnight and for up to a day.
- The next day, rinse the belly in cold water and pat dry. Cut into 1-inch segments, about ⅓ inch thick. Place all the belly into a large pan and add enough water to cover the pork belly. Turn the heat to low.
- Slowly, render the fat from the belly, turning the segments of meat every half hour. Keep the heat on low. Over time the water will cook off, leaving only the rendered lard in the pan.
- When only the lard remains in the pan, turn the heat to high, and carefully monitor the pieces of belly as they deep-fry in the rendered lard. The deep-frying in the lard should take about 3 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicharrones to a plate that is lined with paper towels.
- Blot the extra fat, immediately season with Marliss Mojo seasoning, and toss.
Enjoy your Marliss® Mojo Chicharrones with some Marliss® Mojo Mayo!